Sunday, January 9, 2011

Hello all! I make Handmade Cold Process and Hot Process Soap, Room Fresheners, Smelly Jelly, Aroma Beads, 'I Loofah My Soap', Axle Grease Be Gone/Pumice Soap, Shower gels, Body Mists, Bath Salts, Alien Acne gel, Alien Acne Soap, Insect Sting and Bug Bite Poultice, Calendula Cream, Chamomile Cream(seasonal), Foaming Facial Cleansers, Lip Balms(seasonal), Solid Scents, Sore Muscles Bath Salts, Muscle Rub, Shampoo, Hair Conditioners, Potpourri, Linen Sachets, All Natural Household Cleaners and much more.

My true passion in life is making quality soap. Please take a moment to enjoy with me. Also please keep in mind that various bugs, including bed bugs and lice, do not like the old fashioned lye soap. With the current problems that society is having with these parasites, I use my old fashion lye soap as a preventative in my laundry, shampoo as well as bathing and cleaning. So, not only are my soaps safe for the environment, fragrant, beneficial to the skin but also a deterrent to insects.

A tidbit of information about handmade lye soap in comparison to commercial/store bought soaps.
The "soap" that you buy at the grocery store usually isn't really soap at all. It's actually the end product of combining processed chemicals and petroleum-based ingredients and then stripping out the beneficial glycerin in order to sell it back to you as lotion. The cosmetic industry is there to make money. If they make soap that dries your skin, then you need to buy lotion. A vicious cycle and can become quite expensive, not to mention possibly trouble for your skin. What you are actually paying for is detergent.

I make my handmade soap in small batches to ensure a quality product using natural, vegetable-based oils and animal or insect byproducts as in goats milk and beeswax. These are considered vegetarian. Some of my soaps are all vegan but most are considered vegetarian. All of my ingredients are purchased with research that assures me that no animal fats have been used, as in stearic acid. Stearic acid can be animal or vegetable derived. I am assured by my supplier that the stearic acid that I purchase is vegetable based. The process I use is called hot-process soap making and is performed by adding quality oils such as olive, palm and coconut oils to a mixture of an alkali (lye or "sodium hydroxide") and distilled water. The combination creates a natural chemical reaction (called saponification) that creates soap. But wait - isn't lye caustic? Well yes, it is, in its natural state. In fact, it is necessary for me to take precautions to protect my skin and eyes while working with lye. Once the chemical reaction takes place, however, the lye is completely gone and soothing, moisturizing glycerin has been created. The simple fact is - soap cannot be created without lye. No lye, no soap!

Hot process soap is a soap that is cooked until the lye is completely gone. A one week waiting period in needed only for the reason of reducing the moisture in the actual soap to provide a harder, longer lasting soap. 

I also make a cold process soap that requires a 4 weeks cure. The lye in this type of soap is active until about the third week.
Thank-you for listening to me go on and on. I do love what I do! Now, if you would like to see...here is my store link HandmadeSoaps4U at AlsoShop

No comments:

Post a Comment